Lifeboat Models

Model Lifeboats Built to Perform

Following many years of good service and great enjoyment the Atlantic was in need of a rebuild and an update, the main reason was the failure of the battery pack.

 Since I started this project motor technology has moved on so I decided to build new outboards with brushless motors. The new motors are half the height and weight and more powerful than the old ones. Running brushless motors also meant having to have a speed controller for each motor.

The first thing I replaced was the removable section of the deck as the old one was going a bit brittle and bits were breaking off on the corners. I used the old one as a patten and got all but one of the bolt holes in the right place. I then built a new frame to take the removable console on top and made some new mounts for the steering servo.

I then made up a new battery pack with some 2200mAh a cells which at 40g each ment the battery had the same power as before but was smaller and lighter. To seal the battery pack the ends have been dipped in plasti dip, which I spotted in an article in a magazine.

Below is a picture of the underside of the new deck. The battery at the front which then connects to the main power switch then onto two fuse holders. The underside of the steering servo is next and then the two brushless speed controllers, which I have put inside some small plastic boxes for protection.

The next picture shows the new outboards on the back of the boat, one with its cover on and one with its cover off.

The one other alteration I have made to the boat is to remove the small skeg from the bottom, which was there for the propshaft if you used an internal motor and a single prop the way the kit was designed to be powered.

Because each motor has to have its own speed controller I have set the radio up to use my F14 Navy with the twin throttle sticks to give even more control.

Here are some pictures of the Atlantic back on the water.

The new motors preform well and give an increase in speed and the boat floats a little higher in the water because of lighter motors and a lighter battery pack. I may change the props to 3 bladed one's to see if that improves the performace. The other thing I have noticed is that without the skeg on the bottom it heels over more on the turns. All in all I'm happy with the outcome and am now looking forward to running it at shows for many years to come.

I have posted a video of the Atlantic on the water on youtube here